Saturday, May 22, 2010

Inspiration & Hughes

I read an article in Vanity Fair about John Hughes - the esteemed director and writer of many of the 80's movies I've been obsessed with since puberty (i.e. The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, etc.) It was all about his life and how he got to where he was with his career. He died recently at a young age of a heart attack. It was completely unexpected and his family was quite shocked as was the world of John Hughes' lovers. In this article, the journalist spoke to Hughes' sons who informed him that amongst their father's possessions were 300 notebooks filled with every memoir, observation, short story, joke, conversation, and idea he had in recent years. As I was reading about this, I though to myself, 'Wow, here is a guy who influenced my life in so many ways through his movies and he was actually an avid creative writer.' I felt so inspired. The man carried around a notebook wherever he went. To the drugstore, on an airplane, to the movies - everywhere. He was always writing down thoughts like his life depended on it.

One day I want my life to depend on my writing. One day I want my children to go through my things after I'm gone and find scribbled poetry, random story ideas, beautiful memories, interesting ideas - everything that fills my mind every day.

Let it begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment